- Sort beans and soak overnight in bowl using 3 times as much water as beans. The next morning rinse beans with cold water. In soup pot, add beans, water, onion, garlic and oregano. Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the beans are tender, about 1 hour. Add salt and pepper and serve beans with broth and choice of garnishes.
- 1 cup dried Good Mother Stallard beans
- 1 quart water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 tsp. dried Mexican oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- For garnish: red tomato salsa, finely-sliced green onion, diced jalapeno chili, chopped cilantro, crumbled bacon, sour cream, tortilla chips