Dark Red Kidney Bean
$4.50 – $23.50
An ancient legume, dark red kidney beans are cultivated and enjoyed throughout the world. Kidneys are versatile and hold their shape when cooked; their earthy color, dense texture, and rich meaty flavor are suitable for both hot and cold dishes.
Checkout these great recipe ideas:
Southwest Skillet Dinner Print
- 1 cup dried dark red kidney beans (3 cups cooked)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- salt to taste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 medium fresh tomato, chopped
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sort beans and soak overnight in bowl using 3 times as much water as beans. The next morning rinse beans with cool water. In pot, add drained beans and cover with two inches of fresh water. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until tender (45 minutes – 1 hour).
- In large skillet, heat olive oil, add onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin and salt and cook until meat is browned, stirring to break meat into small pieces. Add rice and cooked beans and heat through. Turn off heat and top with cheese. When cheese has melted, garnish with tomato and cilantro.