- Sort beans and soak overnight in bowl using 3 times as much water as beans. The next morning rinse beans thoroughly with cold water. In medium saucepan, combine soaked drained beans with 4 cups fresh water. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, leaving lid slightly ajar, until beans are tender (about 30 minutes). Turn off heat and set aside.
- In small fry pan, heat 3 tbsp. olive oil. Add dried red chili, onion and garlic and cook until onion turns brown on the edges. Add contents of fry pan to pot of beans and stir to mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper. In large pan heat olive oil, add greens and coat with oil. Add several tablespoons of water; cover pan and steam until greens are tender. Combine greens with beans or serve on the side and garnish with fresh lemon slices.
- 1 cup dried Black Eye beans
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole dried red hot chili
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- salt and fresh-ground
- black pepper to taste
- 1 lb. greens; collard greens, Swiss chard or kale, cut into ½-inch wide strips
- 1 fresh lemon, sliced