- Warm the oil in a large pot; add the carrots, leeks, curry, ginger, salt and pepper and stir, over low heat, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and water and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- If the soup thickens upon standing, add small amounts of water until thinned to desired consistency.
- Just before serving add lemon juice to taste and stir in cilantro, if using.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cups (1/2-inch size pieces) carrot, finely chopped in food processor
- 1 cup chopped leeks, white and green parts
- 1-1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Chicken Scratch lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups water plus more, as needed
- 1 to 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems, optional