- Sort beans and soak overnight in bowl using 3 times as much water as beans. The next morning rinse beans with cool water. Put beans in medium pan and cover with two inches water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered until beans are tender (about 45 minutes - 1 hour). Drain beans and let cool slightly.
- Combine beans, onions and olives in a bowl. Drizzle olive oil and vinegar over salad. Add minced garlic, salt, pepper and fresh herbs. Toss gently. Garnish with tomatoes.
- ½ lb. dried flageolets
- 3 tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup black olives, pitted
- 3 tbsp. fruity olive oil
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 leaves torn fresh basil
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- roasted or fresh tomato slices for garnish.