- Sort and rinse lentils with cool water and drain. In saucepan, combine lentils and water and bring to simmer. Add ginger and turmeric, and cover leaving lid slightly ajar. Cook for 30-45 minutes until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Add salt and stir. Remove ginger slices.
- In small frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and let seeds sizzle, then add coriander and cayenne. Stir once and then add contents of frying pan into the pan with lentils and stir to mix. Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serve with steamed rice, if desired.
- 1 cup Petite Golden lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 thin slices unpeeled ginger
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley