- Sort beans and soak overnight in bowl using 3 times as much water as beans. The next morning rinse beans with cold water. Put drained beans in saucepan and cover with two inches of water. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until tender (35-45 minutes). Drain beans reserving ½ cup liquid.
- In large flame and ovenproof casserole, heat the oil, add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add carrots and cook another minute, then add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off heat. Add cooked limas, bean liquid, salt, pepper, parsley and oregano. Stir to mix. Put the casserole in preheated 325-degree oven and bake, uncovered for 1 hour. Serve hot.
- ½ lb. dried large lima beans
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 large, fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano