- Warm the oil in a large pot; add the mushrooms, shallots, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, stirring often, over medium low heat until the mushrooms and onion are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils until blended. Add the broth, 2 cups of water and tomato paste and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the spinach and heat just until spinach is wilted.
- If the soup thickens upon standing, add small amounts of water until thinned to desired consistency.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces (about 4 cups) white buttom and/or cremini mushrooms, chopped (stems included)
- ½ cup finely chopped shallots or onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Desert Sage lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water plus more, as needed
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups packed coarsely chopped fresh spinach leaves