- Preheat oven to 400°. Place beets, carrots, shallots, and 1/2 cup oil in a medium roasting pan. Stir to coat vegetables evenly with oil. Add parsley and thyme, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring once, until vegetables begin to brown, about 20 minutes. Add lentils and 3 cups of water, stir, then cover pan with foil. Cook until lentils are tender and all water is absorbed, about 1 hour.
- Remove pan from oven. Remove and discard herb sprigs, then dress lentils with vinegar and remaining oil. Allow to cool slightly, then stir in chopped parsley. Adjust seasoning and serve.
- Recipe Credit: Saveur Magazine
- 3 small beets, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 shallots, peeled and halved
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 lb. lentilles du Puy, or other French-style green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 3 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley