- Sort beans and soak overnight in bowl using 3 times as much water as beans. After soaking, rinse beans thoroughly with cold water. In medium saucepan, combine soaked beans with 4 cups water. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, leaving lid slightly ajar, until beans are slightly tender (30 minutes).
- Add celery, carrot, potato, tomatoes, salt and pepper and gently simmer for additional 20 minutes until vegetables are tender. Turn off heat. In small fry pan, heat olive oil. Add dried red chili, onion and garlic, and cook until onion turns brown on the edges. Add contents of fry pan to pot of beans and stir to mix.
- 1 cup dried baby lima beans
- 1 large celery stalk, cut in ½-inch dice
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 small potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 3 fresh or canned plum tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt or to taste, fresh ground pepper
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole dried red hot chili (optional)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped