- Sort beans and soak overnight in bowl using 3 times as much water as beans. Rinse beans, put in heavy saucepan and cover with two inches of fresh water, and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until tender (35-45 minutes). Drain beans.
- To prepare casserole: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large ovenproof frying pan, heat olive oil and add ground beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are soft. Turn off heat and add corn, beans, enchilada sauce, salsa, chili powder, salt and pepper. Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and cook another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and top with garnishes. Serve with warm tortillas or corn chips.
- 1 cup dried Papa De Rola beans
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1-10 oz. bag frozen corn kernels
- 1-8 oz. can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated cheese, Cheddar and Monterey Jack
- garnishes: chopped fresh tomato, avocado, green onions, and cilantro