$6.50 – $31.25
Bright yellow Canary lentils are dried legumes stripped of their outer hulls and split. Often used to prepare Dhal, a thick, spicy stew that is a mainstay of Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi cuisine, Canaries are a delicious addition to any recipe that calls for creamy lentils.
Checkout these great recipe ideas:
Indian Dhal with Canary Lentils Print
- 1½ cup Canary lentils
- 4 tbsp. oil
- 6 cloves
- 1 1-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger root, chopped
- 1 fresh green chili, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sort and rinse lentils in cool water. In soup pot, heat oil and fry cloves and cinnamon stick until they start to swell. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add ginger, chili, garlic, and garam masala and cook for 5 minutes. Add lentils, stir thoroughly, and cook for 1 minute. Add salt to taste and 3½ cups water (enough water to cover lentils 1½ inches). Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or longer, until lentils are tender and mixture is thick and creamy. Serve with a spoonful of lemon juice.