Yellow Eye Bean
$5.50 – $29.00
Related to the kidney bean, Yellow Eyes are large and ivory-colored with a lovely mustard splotch radiating from the inner seam. Dated to at least 1860, the old-world legume has a mild flavor and firm texture and is recommended for making New England-style baked beans.
Checkout these great recipe ideas:
Yellow Eye Baked Beans Print
- 1 cup dried Yellow Eye beans
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 slices smoked bacon, cut in one-inch pieces (optional)
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
- salt to taste (less if bacon is used)
- black pepper to taste
- Sort beans and soak overnight in bowl using 3 times as much water as beans. The next morning rinse beans with cold water. In pot, add drained beans, cover with two inches fresh water, bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until tender (35-45 minutes). Reserve some bean liquid for casserole.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In fry pan, heat oil and sauté onion for 4 minutes. Add garlic and bacon (if using) and cook 2 minutes more. In casserole, combine drained beans with onions and rest of the ingredients. Cover dish with lid or foil. Bake for 1 hour, checking twice for drying. If beans begin to look dry, stir in extra bean water or plain water. Serve warm.